15 Useful Tips How To Leave Your Job On Good Terms
You clearly realize that you want to quit your job? Anyway it does not mean that now it is high time to express all the negative feelings you have and burn your bridges. If you do it, you will harm yourself. In this post on useful tips how to quit a job on good terms we are going to give you some pieces of advice how to quit a job and not to harm yourself or your company, how to keep good relationships with your boss and colleagues. If you find this post useful, you will probably like other posts that you can find on our website. Resume-service.org is the best resume writing service.
Quitting a job, do not spoil your reputation, relationships with other workers and your boss. This is your duty to the employer, colleagues, business partners and the most important to yourself as a professional and mature person. And vise versa, polite and intelligent behavior ensures you trustiness of your previous employer and not only.
How to leave your job in a good way? There are a couple of key principles that you can follow. Here are some of them.
1. Evaluate the situation. First of all make sure that a quit is the right choice. Do not quit your job just to put an end. Weigh all the for and against. Are there ways to improve those sides of your job that irritate you? Can you get any other job in the company? For example, have you discussed this issue with your boss? Does he know that you want to quit? At least you may feel there are some substantial reasons that can make you stay. Did you boss have an opportunity to make advances to your needs and desires?
2. Check out all the legal aspects. Study thoroughly all the legal documents that you have signed applying for the job. Probably they contain some points that do not allow you to work for the competitor, or you contract says that you have to work for the company certain period of time and inform the company about your quit in a special way and so on. By the way, you should clearly realize financial consequences of your dismissal, especially if you have not find other work yet.
3. Choose correct time. In a perfect world you quit when you are on the top, not when you are down. In an imperfect world, which we face much more often, do not wait for dismissal for too long. When you have though thoroughly over the situation and come to conclusion that the best option for you is a quit, do it without hesitation. You have one life only!
4. Do everything personally. Do not be afraid. Ask your boss to talk to you. Do not send your resignation by mail. You should say it face to face. It is important that you tell your chief about your quit before telling about it to someone else. He deserves to hear about it first.
5. Send a letter about your quit. Compose it in official style without excess emotions. It should be brief and polite letter, in which you inform about your dismissal, and also you should mention when you are going to leave. Submit your application in advance, before the planned date. Send it to your direct boss (even if you have already informed him personally), and also send a copy to Human Resources Department.
6. Be ready to tell honestly about the reasons of your leaving. Be honest as much as possible. Always be polite, tactful and show respect. This is a great opportunity to give your chief (and others) constructive feedback. Be honest, mention all the factors and weigh them. Regardless of what reasons you mention, be consistent. If your company organizes formal interview before a quit to understand the “real reasons”, do not be afraid of it. Be reasonable, do not burn your bridges by saying something negative or inappropriate.
7. Try to predict your boss’ reaction to your application. If you have good professional boss, he will probably say that he is sorry that you are leaving. In case you already have a new job, he should congratulate you. The most important is that he should respect your decision. If his reaction is negative, it characterizes him as non-professional. Explain your reasons and emphasize that you will support him and his team to make your quit as less painful as possible for the company. Do not let your boss or your team make you feel guilty.
8. Try to predict the reaction of your team. How did your employer treat those workers who had quitted in the past? Does your manager appreciate the workers who inform about their decision in advance or they are told to leave their post at once? You should be ready for such a situation, so delete your personal files and personal information beforehand and take all your valuable staff. Make your workplace clean. Do not take things that belong to company. Also, if you are valuable worker, be ready that your employer can suggest you other position to make you stay. Think beforehand on what conditions you could accept it. Or prepare clear answer-refusal.
9. Get everything you have earned. Before quitting, make sure that you have got all the payments and compensation in addition to wages: commission payments, holiday pay, bonuses, pension contributions, etc.
10. Do not rush too much. Do your best to finish everything you have started, put in order all your current files and documents. If you have enough time, help to find and prepare a substitution for you. Some people agree to answer few phone calls after their quit. It guarantees good relationships and is highly appreciated by the successors and the company. This is a good opportunity to be remembered as dedicated and reliable team member.
11. Keep confidentiality. Do not tell about your quit before it becomes official information. After the quit do not talk too much about it. Do not mention about your quit before you discuss all the details with your boss. Also discus with him how and when you will announce about your decision.
12. Try to avoid negative approach. When you will talk about the quit with your colleagues, try to emphasize positive sides and what company ahs done for you, even if it is time to move on. Do not boast of your potential new job. Be timid and respect what your colleagues and company do. After leaving the company, do not speak badly about your former employer, managers and colleagues.
13. Be loyal and hardworking till the last day at your work. It is the time when you can show that you are a real professional. Avoid intrigues and do not let communication with disgruntled employees. Unfortunately, many workers suddenly forget how long they have been working for the company. In a couple of days they ruin their previous and often future reputation without realizing it. Do not be unreasonable!
14. Inform your colleagues and business partners. After talking to your boss, inform personally other managers and key workers about your quit. Thank them for successful work with you and their help in carrier.
15. Tell goodbye. Before you leave, heartily thank your colleagues, boss and business partners. Express them your gratitude. On the last working day organize a small dinner or a party. Your colleagues will definitely remember it. Try to keep in touch with some of them. Send a farewell letter to the people whom you can not say goodbye personally.
Another advice is to ask for recommendations. Ask your boss, colleagues and partners if they are ready to give you recommendations. Maybe they can do it by e-mail, telephone or professional social network.
The way one leaves his job, tell a lot about what person he is. Show you from your best side. In our world, where everyone is connected between each other, there is a high chance you will meet someone you have worked with. Your paths may cross in future. Or as it happens, you may want to return to your former employer. So make sure that your quit in the most favorable time and do not burn your boats.
Whatever your last days in the company are, always remember that a worker has the right to withdraw his resignation any time before the expiration of the dismissal notice period. Although employers and employees believe that there is no way back for those who decide to quit a company, still there are exceptions.
Now having read this post on how to quit a job on good terms, you know everything necessary about this issue. In case you decide to quit, or just to change your workplace, this how to leave your job on good terms post will definitely help you to do it in a proper way.