Professional Resume Creator: Resume-Service Works For You
Today some of resume writing websites on the Internet provide users with ready resume templates, which you need just to fill in. These are so-called “automatic” online resume creators. But we can not recommend you to use them, because all resume written in such a way look the same. However, experienced HR managers can distinguish resume written by a jobseeker himself, and resume built “automatically”. Our advice is to use our professional resume creator.
So if you feel you can write resume by yourself, read the following tips on resume structure. But if you want to have a really creative professional resume, it is better to order resume on our resume writing service online. Our professionals will write perfect resume for you, and the process of job search will become much easier. Choose our services and you will not be sorry.
Structure of a resume
1. Name of a document
Well, this is just a word “resume”. Lately this document is often called “Curriculum Vitae” or simply “CV” (from Latin means “description of life”), and this variant is already commonly used. Many people say it sounds better and it is more precise in the meaning.
Brief description of what position you are applying for. It is recommended to list all the positions you would like to occupy. Existing scheme of the activities of personnel departments and recruitment agencies is always not “flexible” at all. Filled by you form is placed in a folder according to mentioned specialization. Getting, for example, into a folder “sales manager”, you almost have no chances to get position of “product manager”. So you should enumerate all the positions you are interested in. However, do not write more than two-three lines.
3. Contact information
This field includes your full name, address, telephone number (do not forget about city index number), and e-mail (if you have it; if do not, create one, it is important).
Education in a resume of a young specialist, who does not have real work experience or has minimum of it (without taking into consideration practice period), takes a leading position. Education is usually written with dates in reverse chronological order:
1) main – higher educational establishment (college / university and the name of your faculty) + dates;
2) additional (parallel) – second higher education (if you have it) + dates;
3) it is important to inform about the passing the courses and passing the specialty certification. If you have passed courses connected with your hobby, for example on macramé, and you want to write this fact in your resume, in this case it is better to include this information into the last part “hobby”, but not in “education” field;
4) you need to mention secondary or high school only in the case if it is language or any other special school, or if you have graduated from high school with honors;
5) it is important to mention technical college;
6) you should also mentioned honours degree, additional specialties;
7) if university specialization of a jobseeker has at least slight connection with a position he is interested in, it can also be mention the name of the graduating department;
8) if working experience is poor or is absent, as it often happens with a young specialist, it is recommended to mention studied subjects (especially those ones, in which a jobseeker has the greatest achievements), good and excellent mark, awards at competitions and contests and so on;
9) you should also write if you have publications, especially in specialized editions, inventions or your own developments / design;
10) and do not forget about the attraction of the adjective “state” – state courses, state awards and so on.
5. Work experience (practice) in reverse chronological order
A graduator, who studied diligently, attended additional courses and tried to get traineeship, rarely has continuous long-term work experience. If he has work experience, it should be written in reverse chronological order. Also there should be mentioned dates, occupied positions and functions, emphasizing professional achievements. Traineeship and practice are equal to work experience, and a good traineeship is sometimes worth several temporary jobs. Work (practice) is presented in reverse order: first you write your present or last working place, then previous working place follows and so on.
It is necessary to mention:
- the dates of the start and the end of work (practice),
- the name of organization / company (there is no necessity to write in a resume detailed address of companies you have worked at, it is enough to mention the name and city where company is situated),
- the name of position (there can be several names if you have pretty big work experience or your career has developed quickly and successfully);
- list your work duties as fully as possible, because usually this point is decisive.
If a person has great work biography, it is recommended to present only three-five last workplaces and the period of no more than 10 years. Vise versa, for a young specialist it is important to write as much work experience as possible, or even all the experience. Information about listened special courses and passed trainings should be included to resume of a graduator. It is also important (obligatory) to write about industrial achievements in each position if you have them. It is better to use verbs of action in description of the achievements. The most certain statements are preferable.
6. Extra work skills
Here you write information that characterizes you as a worker, but does not have direct connection to work duties, for example:
- owning of driving license;
- PC experience (you should specify what operating systems and programs you have worked with / still work);
- membership in professional organizations and so on.
You can also mention the knowledge of foreign language, if you are not quite sure about your fluency in the language. If you are sure, you can write this information separately, mentioning and emphasizing language courses, if you have passed them.
“Work skills” field provides a jobseeker with a great opportunity to present the strongest sides. It is important to write everything connected to desired job, and extra information is presented only if it can increase your chances to get the position you want. However, do not overdo, if you have too much merits, your potential employer can be “afraid” that he does not have enough money to pay such a valuable worker. Do not praise yourself, write facts only. Employer should make conclusions on his own.
7. Additional information: hobby, awards and public activity
This point can describe an employee better than, for example, work experience. It includes clubs, societies, awards and so on. They can indicate person’s social position. Of course, you should not mention if you are a member of any party, religious community, etc.
8. Notice possibility of providing recommendations
Do not mention the names of those who can give you recommendations, however you should prepare a list of the names, it may be necessary during the interview. Do not neglect the recommendations providing. Many jobseekers forget or do not pay enough attention to this point. Meanwhile this is your opportunity to get extra chance to occupy the desired position, especially if there is a high competition for the vacancy. Put yourself in the employer's place and imagine what you will feel getting positive recommendations about one of the candidates.
9. Date of resume writing
In conclusion it is necessary to put the date of the creation of your resume and you signature. Resume dating increases the reliability of your interest in the work, old date may be a sign that a candidate looks for a job for a long time and without much success.
Except everything mentioned above, you should avoid the following errors in resume creation:
- incompatibility of work biography, education, experience of an employee to the objective requirements of the position or demands of the employer;
- too short resume: it is not clear whether its author has nothing to say or an employee is just a “gray mouse”;
- demonstration of the often job change without explaining of objective reasons;
- absence of professional development indication;
- mentioning many different training courses and seminars;
- too much detailed resume that contains much excess information, such as inappropriate humor.
Resume is a kind of a document that helps you to find a job. But remember, that this is just a “sheet of paper”, everything always depends on you. Be confident, trust in yourself and success will come very soon!