Tips On Winning Phone Interview
Every person has a period in the life when he/she needs to get a job. And here you can not do without a properly written resume and without several interviews. Our best resume service has been successfully developing resumes and writing cover letters for many years. You will not regret if you ask for help.
You sent out all the CVs and covering letters, and you’re eagerly awaiting proposals for work. Be prepared for the fact that representatives of different companies will not invite you to the office immediately. Mostly, first you will have an interesting conversation on the phone.
This is a kind of test for everybody, because it's not easy to answer serious questions, when you do not see a person and by his emotions or facial expression can not determine the exact reaction to your words. It will be fair if you ask yourself the question: what should I do, how to respond, to arrange for a recruiter before he invites me to an interview in the office? So, today resume proofreading online will tell you how to turn a short telephone conversation into a successful job in the perfect company.
What is an interview by phone and why is it needed?
As a rule, many employers agree with the statement: it is better to see once than hear a hundred times. Therefore, the main emphasis during employment is on a personal meeting and conversation in the office. But there are also small telephone interviews. Do not worry, they were not created to replace the main interview, it's just like the first step in considering your candidacy.
First, managers analyze your resume, then they call you, ask a few questions and if they are satisfied with the answers, then they appoint a personal meeting. To date, about 91% of employers organize mini-interviews by phone, so they save time, do not arrange meetings, if it is immediately clear that the candidate does not suit them.
Today, interviews on Skype are popular. It is very profitable and practical, because sometimes a person can not immediately come to the office (he lives in another city, has not quit his previous job, and so on). But still Skype is used as a phone as a preliminary conversation (and only occasionally as the main interview).
Pros of the phone interview
1) Time saving. Well, what's the point of going to the office across the city, in order to understand in just five minutes that neither you fit this company, nor it suit you?
2) Saving money. If a person lives in another city, then he will have to spend money on a long journey. And it's good if it's not in vain. But it's not always the results of the interview that suit both the employer and the applicant.
3) It is psychologically easier. When you talk to an invisible manager, you experience less. Yes, and on the manager is much less responsibility, because he does not organize a personal meeting.
Disadvantages of phone interview
1) There can be a bad telephone connection, which will significantly distract and knock down the thoughts of both the manager and the future employee. Everyone will feel uncomfortable if they constantly have to ask again or answer twice.
2) At the most inopportune moment the conversation can be interrupted (due to poor communication, the phone is exhausted, the money has run out on the account and so on).
3) The brevity of the conversation. Maybe you have not yet grasped the essence of the matter, and the recruiter has already put the phone down. Or you did not have time to give a full answer, as you hear a new question. Use online resume services.
Also in this section:
- Rate My Resume: Expert Help In Resume Writing
- Resume Services: East Or West – Resume-Service Is Best
- Custom Resume: We Guarantee Quality And Professionalism
- Cheap Resumes: Smart Choice At Reasonable Price
- Help Writing Resume: Need Help? Contact Us!
- Professional Writer Resume: It’s Not Hard To Write Resume
- Resume Editing Services: Our Service Is The Best Option
Secrets of success
Since you have to go through this stage with employment, then you need to do everything so that the conversation ends successfully and the employer wants to see you in his office. Therefore, as soon as your phone rings and you understand that it is from the work, quickly analyze the situation whether it is convenient for you to speak now. If you are in the store or you are played with children and it is noisy all around, then get ready to say the following: Sorry, please, I'm not comfortable talking right now. When can I call you back? These simple phrases do not reveal unnecessary details, and will help the employer understand that he is dealing not with a frivolous person, but with a polite one. Do not even think of talking to the employer while driving or doing other things. You need to focus on one thing or another.
1) Agree to conversation only in a relaxed atmosphere. Take a sheet of paper and a pencil. Check if you have money in your account and the call will not be interrupted at the most inopportune moment. Be prepared to make a small self-presentation. If you were offered a chat on video communication, then do not forget about the appearance. Do not wear a strict suit, just a neat look.
2) Clear questions - specific answers. Typically, the recruiter will ask you standard questions in order to concretize your resume. What about your previous position? Ready for business trips? How do you perceive a non-standardized working day? Where are you located territorially? Answer clearly, sincerely and without much hesitation. The main goal of the selection manager is simply to understand whether you are interested in a vacancy or not, whether it makes sense to appoint you a personal meeting. Sometimes you will be immediately informed about the vacancy and working conditions. If not, then do not hesitate to ask yourself. Do not go into details, just show a real interest in the vacation and the company itself.
3) Friendly and polite tone. Do not often and intermittently breathe with excitement into the phone. Ask who you are talking to and in the process, contact a person by name. This is a sign of good upbringing. In addition, even when talking on the phone, smile. Believe me, a smile will instantly reflect on your voice. Do not do anything superfluous, something that you would not be allowed to do while sitting in the office (do not smoke during a conversation, do not sit with your feet on the table). Never interrupt the interlocutor and do not end the sentence in his place. Do not show your annoyance or disappointment. We can help you to create professional resume.
4) Literate speech. Do not use words of parasites and do not mumble to yourself. It is literate speech that is your visiting card at the moment. Concluding the conversation, thank for the call and the time they spent with you. If you are invited to the office, ask about the details of the meeting etc.
5) Do not be afraid of pauses. If there is a moment of silence during the conversation, do not be discouraged, but try to fix it. Tell the person about your advantages and goals, ask about the job or vacancy.
6) Do not ask immediately about the salary. Yes, the topic of money is a very important one and interests absolutely everyone. But it is very foolish to be interested in the amount of future wages immediately The employer will suspect that money is the only thing that interests you. But do not postpone this question for too long. If a person is not at all interested in the reward for his work, then he most likely does not represent a professional value.
I remember when I got a job in one of the companies that works with foreigners. When the customer service manager called me back, she offered to speak a little in a foreign language. At that moment I was in the store and it was just my turn to pay for the purchases. It was obviously inconvenient for me to talk, but I was so worried that when she asked through how much she could call back, I just said 10-15 minutes. Then I regretted that I did not offer to call back myself, because the second call was about two hours later and all the time I was worried because I really wanted to get a job in this company.
Common mistakes during telephone interview
People tend to make mistakes, especially when they are very worried. In order for your phone conversation with the employer to have a positive result for both of you, check out the following list of common errors. And try to avoid them at future interviews.
1) Non-interest. If the employer notices that you do not have any motivation, he will finish the conversation quickly and politely. Otherwise, what is the use of spending your time and his time? Take a lively interest in the vacancy, when you are asked to ask questions, do not be silent, but ask boldly what interests you. Do not talk in a languid and lifeless voice, as if you are going to fall asleep from boredom.
2) Too fast or too slow speech. Yes, everyone has their own characteristics, but if by nature you speak too fast or stretch words, in this case you need to control yourself. The interlocutor should be pleased to deal with you (http://resume-service.org/blog/how-to-find-a-job-that-you-will-love).
3) Very official tone. I think you are sure that excessive officiality pushes us to the fact that a person is insincere, that he talks only because it is so necessary. Be polite, but at the same time, stay by yourself, speak with simple and accessible phrases. Do not cause suspicion to the interlocutor.
4) Fatigue. Do not be surprised, but fatigue is also perfectly displayed not only on your face, but also on your voice, in your intonation. There are situations when before this interview on the phone you already had several unpleasant interviews that upset you and finally exhausted you. You are tired of a long job search, from a lot of failures and problems. Therefore, picking up the phone again, you subconsciously adjust yourself to another failure. Your voice sounds absolutely without enthusiasm and you wearily say: Hello. But wait, you can not allow, that usual fatigue became on a way to your successful career.
5) Unpreparedness. Yes, a recruiter can call at any time, especially when you least expect it. Therefore, wait for the call always. You should perfectly remember to which companies you sent CVs, so study the main information about these enterprises. And always keep in mind a few points from the plan, why I am the best candidate and why I dream about this work.
6) Non-punctuality. Of course, it's not a secret for you that you can not be late for work. But you can not be late for phone interviews! You ask how it is? Yes, it's elementary - just do not take the phone! It is ugly and is a sign of bad upbringing. Even if you feel uncomfortable for conversation, you are driving a car, you stand in the queue at the cash register, just pick up the phone and apologize. Believe me, it will be much better than not answering the employer's calls for an hour (http://resume-service.org/blog/an-ideal-candidate-whom-employers-look-for).
Firstly, you will not be called constantly, and secondly, what do you say in your justification, if they ask for the reasons of your act? Are you ready to think of another stupidity? Do not expect that the manager will believe you. So you just show yourself from the worst side and the device for work is out of the question. Thirdly, if a person does not answer for a long time, then he is either not serious at all, or too busy to get a job. And who will be interested in such candidates? That's right, no one.
7) Wrong approach to finding work. There are two types of job seekers: kings and beggars. Both species will not bring you the desired results. Let's consider each of them in detail. “Kings” behave and talk as if the employer should be happy that such an important person visited his firm and wants to work here. They all demonstrate their superiority, arrogance and excessive self-confidence. And “beggars” always look shy, too modest and ready to serve everyone, just to get their job. In both category of people the employer does not interested in.
Well, in general you know all the secrets and tricks associated with a telephone interview. Finding a job is not as easy as it seems. Each stage can become a kind of test full of surprises and surprises. You can not always be ready for anything. Try to remain always calm and dignified. If you are a good worker, then there are no insurmountable obstacles for you. Whether you see the other person or not, you have every chance of success. The main thing is just to want.