Tips On How To Pass An Interview Successfully
20 life hacks for successful interviewing
Our best professional resume writers continue to share tips on resume writing, on how to write cover letter and so on. Now we are going to present you top 20 secrets of winning interview. Basing on the advice of famous and successful HR experts, we want to share with you this post about tips on how to pass an interview successfully.
HR managers are often asked to give some useful tips on successful interviewing. However, 5 or even 10 tips are not enough to cover all the necessary information. That is why reading this post on interview passing you will learn 20 pieces of advice that will make you closer to the desired job. Our service hopes that you will not be afraid of the number of tips and they will be really useful for you.
Of course, professional achievements are 80% of interview success. However, a recruiter interviews a lot of experienced and professional candidates, that is why the rest 20% of success ingredients will help you to bypass your competitors.
1. Pass successfully the telephone interview
The first recruiter’s call is not just a call, this is your first real interview. Here you should also present yourself in the best light: smile in your voice; find a quiet place to talk; repeat the name of the recruiter 3-5 times during your conversation not to forget it; be ready to tell about the reasons of new job search (for example, further development; you have exhausted all possibilities and now you are looking for the new ones; wife goes on maternity leave and so on); how much money you want to be paid; whether you are able to come to the interview at a certain time (if you are not ready to pass the interview during the next three days, recruiter will find other person who is ready).
2. Pass written interview
You should win the fight before the battle. You have no right to go to the interview without any preparation. Your preparation is written (we emphasize the word “written”) answers to the question that recruiter will ask.
Here is the list of the questions that should be answered in written form:
- Which one among all your work achievements is the biggest? And now could you return to that time and tell me everything in details?
- What were 3 or 4 the most difficult tasks you had to cope with?
- What result did you get?
- How did it happen and in what company?
- How much time did the problem solving take?
- What situation did you face when started this project?
- Why it was you who supervised this project? Was it your own initiative? Why?
- What difficulty did you meet? Who helped you to cope with it?
- What technical skills were required to deal with the task? What skills did you gain dealing with the task?
- Describe the planning process, your role in it and how the plan was accepted. Describe what went wrong and how you managed to cope with it.
- What was your role in the project?
- Give three examples when you took the initiative. Why?
- What was the biggest change or improvement?
- What was the most difficult decision you had to make? How did you make it? Was it right decision? Would you change it if you could?
- Describe the surrounding: resources, your manager, professionalism level.
- What was the biggest conflict you ever faced? How did you solve it?
- Give examples when you have helped someone or have been someone’s tutor.
- Give examples when you really influenced other people or made them change their mind.
- How did your personality change or grow by solving the problem?
- What did you like best and least of all?
- What would you do differently if you could?
- Why kind of award did you get for the project?
- What is appropriate according to you mind? Why yes or why not?
These questions were described by one of the best authors for recruiters Lou Adler. Answering these questions you will be 80%ready for the interview.
3. Collect your recommendations from your recommenders
Sooner or later recruiter will ask you the list of people who can recommend you. Be ready to provide him with the list. However, to avoid surprises, conduct mini-interview with your recommenders. Ask them to pass virtual interview with a recruiter and make questions:
- What relations did a candidate have with a recommender?
- What positions did they both have?
- What position does the recommender occupy now?
- How long did they work together?
- Please, tell in few words the weak and strong sides of the candidate.
- How did the weak sides of the candidate influence the work?
- What are his main achievements?
- Can you give any example when the candidate took the initiative?
- How do you rate him as a 10-point scale manager? Can you give an example of such a rate?
- How much effectively did he work in a team (did he develop the team if he occupied manager position)?
- How do you rate his professional knowledge and skills in 10-point scale? Can you give an example?
- Did the candidate cope with the task on time? Can you give an example?
- Ask how the candidate reacts to critic and work under pressure. Ask how much difficult the work conditions in the company are.
- Is the candidate successful in decision making? Can you give examples of his decisions and how he made them?
- Would you hire him? Would you like to work with such a person again? Would you like to have him as your manager? Why yes or not?
- How do you evaluate his character features and personal values? Why?
- How much good is he comparing with other workers on the same position? Why is he stronger or weaker?
- How would you rate the general productivity of the candidate in 10-point scale?
- What can you advise this person?
4. Make good impression
Remember that the first impression is made in 5-10 seconds, and then it is very hard to influence it. All the trainings for recruiters are based on the fact that they should not take into consideration the first impression about a candidate, and it is really difficult to do. What important is: greet, smile, say you are glad to meet personally, do not keep silence, say you like the office, people you have met, smile all the time, call a recruiter by name, smile, smile, smile… Well, you get the point.
5. Drink a cup of coffee
Usually coffee adds activity, so if you are offered tea or coffee at the interview, choose coffee. Also drink a cup of coffee before the interview (but do not overdo).
6. Imagine the target
All the sportsmen know that visualization of the target helps them to become champions. Arnold Schwarzenegger in all his books tells how much important it is to imagine how you have already reached your target.
7. If you are nervous, take sedative
If you are nervous so much that you can not relax during the interview and hold a normal conversation, just take sedative. It will make you relaxed, take your worries away and give you an opportunity to hold a conversation calmly.
8. Ask yourself if you would hire such a person like you
After the interview ask yourself about this. If no – try to figure out what was wrong. An ability to learn from your mistakes differs successful people from losers.
9. Study the site of the company in details
In 50% of case the first question is “What do you know about our company?”. So be ready for it.
10. Read the latest book on you profession
It will give you fresh knowledge and you will have something to say at the interview.
11. Choose the time when they can call you
When you discuss the interview time, choose such a period when no one calls you. You should not think about possible call from your boss or important client.
12. Plan two hours for the interview even if takes one hour
Very often interview lasts longer that it is supposed to. If you are in a hurry, it will not characterize you from the positive side.
13. Chew a gum
Fresh breath at the interview is the recipe for success. But do not forget to throw the gum away before the interview.
14. Wear your best watches
Watches always raise the status of a person. Do not miss the chance to show yourself if you are applying for a high position.
Man depends physiologically on timely meal. If you are hungry, it is hard to think, and if you had a meal long time ago, you can have a headache because of the tension and stress.
16. Answer in the written form the question about your future salary
Answer the following question about your future salary:
What is your desired salary level?
What level below which you are not ready to be paid?
If they offer you to pay a little bit less, on what conditions are you ready to accept it?
You should ask these question until you can confidently refuse, if they offer you less than you want.
17. Decide what your motivation is
One of the main questions that recruiter wants to figure out is what your motivation is. Recruiter wants to understand:
Will you accept the job if he offers you the position?
Will you work in the company for at least 2-3 years?
Will you solve the problems you face, because you will struggle for your position?
The main thing you should remember from this successful interview post is the necessity to smile sincerely and at the right moments during the interview.
19. Wear your favourite clothes
At the interview everything depends first of all on how you feel yourself. Recruiter sees how you feel and form his impression basing on this. That is why you should make every effort to feel comfortable and confident.
Your favourite clothes are the elements of the comfort. Of course, you should follow the dress code, but if a slight “step aside” will make you feel more comfortable, it is worth to do it.
20. Take a morning shower
At the interview your head should be clean. Besides, you should feel fresh, and of course, your clothes and underwear should be clean and neat.
These are only some of the important tips on interview passing. We appreciate your comments and recommendations when we prepare material for you. So do not hesitate to share your opinion on our posts. And let your interviews be pleasant and successful!